Monday, 05 April 2010 23:36
Amaury Laverhne has been around the tour for a couple of years and has reached the climax of his professional career last February when he won the Pipeline Pro. Let's find out a little bit more about monsieur Laverhne.
1. Amaury tells us about where you are ? About your island....
Reunion Island is a French property located in the Indian Ocean next to Madagascar. It's a tropical island where you can find all kinds of culture and religion. Everyone lives in peace.
We got some really good waves for bodyboarding and surfing. Most of them break on crazy reefs alive and very shallow.
My home break is called Zaigrett, a wave that breaks on a flat and shallow coral reef.
The best thing here is that bodyboarding dominates the action in the water. We know how rare this is in our days.
A problem that we have are the sharks. We are limited to surf on a small part of the west coast because the other side is full of sharks !
2. There are many bodyboarders from Reunion Island ?
Yes, there are some many good guys ripping over there. Hopefully in a couple of years we will see fresh blood from Reunion Islands
3. In which year you started to compete the world tour ?
I started in 2006 when I was 21 years old.
4. You have a excellent expertise in tube riding. Do you focus your training on that specific technique ?
I love barrels and I love to surf good waves the entire year. When I'm not competing I try to be in the best surfing spots looking for the waves.
5. You won The Pipeline Pro this year, have you ever dreamed of winning at pipeline ? Describe that victory.
It was just an amazing moment ! It took a while to realize it. I had such a good feeling that day, the vibe of everyone, the crowd at the beach.. everything was great ! Definitely one of the best days of my life.
6. The year is still starting but you are being pointed out as one of the favorites names to become world champion. How do you deal with this ? Do you think is possible to win the tour this year ?
I don't think too much about that. I will give all my best in all contests that I participate this year and see what happens. I'm focused in winning the world title.
7. You surf well in reef waves and beach breaks. How does you daily training influence your performance on both types of waves ?
Since I was 11 years old I participate in competitions in Reunion Island and France. In France most of the waves are beach breaks so I'm used to surf on those conditions since small.
In Reunion Island we don't have really good beach breaks so when I'm travelling I try to surf good beach breaks around the world.
I'm working hard to improve my performance in small waves. I feel that I need to be more versatile in all kind of waves.
8. We always see you together with PLC. How do you guys get along. Do you train together ? Push the level of each other ? Describe this relationship between you guys.
First of all we are really good friends. Both of us are competitive and we have a mutual respect between us. In my opinion he is one of the best riders of our days and I know that I have a big participation on this. Anyway, it's just a nice relationship. Even though he is 5 years younger than me he pushes me so hard when we are surfing together. He is one of my main inspirations.
9. You are coming to Brazil and then to Chile and Peru. What do you expect from this south American leg ?
I expect to catch some good waves, have a good time make new friends and hopefully bring back good points for the world tour.
10. We heard that you cook pretty well. What's your expertise in the kitchen ?
I love cooking and I love good food. France is very famous for its food and I like to take this with me around the world.
Full Name: Amaury Laverhne
Date of Birth: 10/08/1985
Sponsors: Sniper Bodyboards, Kana Beach, EBB Surf Shop, Churchill Fins.
Board: AL 41 PE/PP
Fins: Churchill blue and yellow